Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Ending in Hakata/Fukuoka

After catching up with mail and other chores, I took a quick subway ride to the Japanese Garden in Ohori Park. It is relatively new compared to others in Japan, and I found it a bit "stiff". Rakusui-en, near Hakata station is older, smaller and has many shady trees and more moss onthe ground.
After that peace and quiet time spent in nature, I plunged into the commercial underground mall of Tenjin. The basements of nearby department stores like Parco, Solaria and Mitsukoshi were also all connected to the mall and there was food galore...what a surfeit!
Susan and Choo went to Yufuin by a special train, and then on to Beppu and back by the Sonic Express. They thought Yufuin was worth visiting. It will be on my list at the next visit. I quite enjoy Japan, especially the wonderful uniformity and ingenuity of the bus systems throughout the country. I do not think I will get to learn Japanese properly, but I should bone up on my vocabulary a bit so as not to feel so frustrated when I can't get my message across concerning simple tourist neccessities.
Off to Singapore tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment